Thursday, July 10, 2014

I like 'em Sunny Side Up...



I really love flowers.  I love gardening and growing things.  I love looking out my studio window and seeing blooms.  One of my favorite flowers, besides tulips and peonies, are daisies.  Just simple white daisies.  I know, they are cheap, but there is something so sweet and innocent about them.

I was thinking about them the other day as I started this canvas in my studio and although I didn't quite create a daisy, I was inspired by the simplicity of the white and yellow blooms.

I wanted a simple painting but with a lot of texture.  The entire bottom half of this painting is collage of book paper.


I kept my palette simple ~ blue, gray, brown and yellow.  I used Golden molding paste to create flowers that popped off the canvas. It is important not to use "light" molding paste for this kind of piece or joint compound (which is water soluble and will dissolve with paint on top).  I used a  charcoal pencil for definition.



Can you see the texture?


My flowers kind of look like flying eggs, sunny side up.  I think it works any way ~ a little funky, fun and elegant!


Be sure to check out all my free tutorials on my blog page above marked ART TUTORIALS,
or visit me on my website at Kirsten Reed Designs.

You can also follow me on Bloglovin' and get them delivered to your inbox!


Here are the supplies I used for this piece:


3 comments:

  1. These are so much fun! They remind me of daisies and eggs too - Either way, they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bouquet of sunny side ups! You are right - fun and elegant! Man, do I want to touch that texture!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Carolyn- that texture looks yummy! Simple pleasures bring such joy! Your daisies are simply delightful- Kirsten!

    ReplyDelete