Friday, December 13, 2013

Dancing with Sue Pelletier & StencilGirl!


Today we are going to borrow the words of author Frank McCourt who wrote, "Sing your song. Dance your dance.  Tell your Tale" and make a fun piece with Sue Pelletier's Loose Dress #2 stencil from StencilGirl Products.


After you prep your canvas or wood ~ I used wood with tissue paper to give instant texture ~ then you sketch out your design with stencil and a marks all stabilo pencil.


Once the design is sketched, I did a light wash of titan buff in all the areas on the piece except where the dresses were.  I then did a wash of red for the middle dress, keeping it loose and not painting solid.



I did the same with the pink dresses on each side.


I then took Carolyn Dube's super fun Words to Live By stencil and some gray paint to make a fun, textured background for the piece. The words are affirming, positive and perfect for a background in this piece. I used a cosmetic sponge and with MINIMAL paint, I lightly dabbed "up and down, up and down" (quoting Carolyn), to make a background.





Then I sketched in legs.




I used Mary Beth Shaw's Random Circles stencil and the cosmetic sponge with pink paint to make a pattern on the red dress.






I added in arms and details with white paint and black pen.  I wanted to make the girl in the center to "stand out" and illustrate the fact that she is dancing her own dance…and I want to be her!  Look at those cowboy boots ~ swag!

 I wrote on the bottom right ~ dance your dance!



The girl on the left here has some kankle going on, but hey, so do I !



If you enjoyed this tutorial, please visit my website for more free art tutorials at www.KirstenReedDesigns.com.   and "like" me on Facebook at Kirsten Reed Designs.

Be sure to keep hopping to the other artists and get more ideas for celebrating with Sue Pelletier's stencils!  Leave me a comment telling me something you plan to do this holiday to celebrate!

Every comment on ALL the blogs will be entered to win free stencils ~ so good luck!

Here is the blog hop order:

Kirsten Reed You are HERE

46 comments:

  1. just loved what you did. how much fun is that?? thanks for the ideas. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love. Wish I'd done it. Perhaps I can IF I win the stencil. Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous - and it incorporates two things I love, text and red!!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Kirsten! Your little dancers are adorable and I love the cowboy boots on the one in the centre!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your use of the words stencil that I own. But also like the dresses. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would be a perfect gift for my niece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! So much fun - love the cowboy boots. What a great touch and the whole canvas brings a happy smile to my face. Keep dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a darling canvas Kirstin-thanks for sharing your process too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kankles and those boots.. LOVE THEM. Love the textures and the colors you chose. Nifty. Celebrating with family and taking time off from work to just be. Thank you, Kirsten and have a great Christmas. I always love hopping with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool - can't wait to try these products!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable. Cute boots. xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes it is not necessary to say a lot. Swoon, I am so in love with this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kirsten, I love EVERYTHING about this! The combination of stencils, text, color, BOOTS!
    Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This a fabulous use of the stencil girl stencil, the uniqueness of the combination of stencils, adding the legs and boots and especially the Title, "Dance your Dance".......LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG OMG OMG OMG - and that isn't enough OMG's! You are amazing!!!! This is beyond beyond fun and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love what you did with the stencil. It looks like you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a big fan of the McCourt brothers. Thanks for commemorating brother Frank. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the boots being from Colorado. gjeneve@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. In LOVE...did I say IN LOVE with your project!!!! Yes! this is a WINNER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. AMAZING! a wonderful Mixed Media piece.. so much depth and such a cheerful outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous, loved the textures a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Way too cute Kirsten! Wonderful job. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kirsten, this is so sweet. I love the cowgirl boots and shoes! Hesse dresses are so cute. And the background with Carolyn's stencil graves me. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful!! The cowgirl boots are a hoot!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would like to be her too! Love this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow Kirsten! Super canvas. It really inspires me to do my own thing / dance my own dance. I would never of thought of having figures without faces, but it really works. Theresa x

    ReplyDelete
  27. This makes me want to get up and DANCE!! Thanks for sharing your art ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is an awesome use of stencils! I have yet to see something of yours that I haven't loved; your work is totally fabulous! The ladies in this group have some very cool ideas, and you all are inspiring me to expand my thinking about using the art supplies I have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  29. loved the use of tissue paper for texture. thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  30. You go girl! Great texture!
    What an idea & what a writer Frank McCourt is.
    LOVE the cowgirl boots, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kirsten, I love this idea!! I just bought pink cowboy boots for my granddaughters for Christmas. What fun it would be to make a painting with these stencils to go along with the boots!! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your work and I love the use of the dress stencil. I kind of scratched my head what can be done with it. Now looking at this awesome blog hop I see so many uses that it would be an awesome stencil to own. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your choice of colors and love this stencil. They look like they could dance right off the page

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is one of the cutest canvas' I have seen in a while. I love it so much...maybe cause I'm a Texas girl, I dunno, but it is super darling! Great use of the loose dress stencil. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great canvas. I love how free-form all of the projects are. It's good to get out of the box and play. That is going to be my New Year's resolution. Try some of these techniques and have fun. thanks for giving me a push.

    ReplyDelete
  36. OH MY Goodness!!...lovelovelove what you have created here!!....awesome bloghopportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such a cute project with the girls dancing! I would love to win the stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Me ha gustado mucho su trabajo y me parece magnifico su tutorial, como partiendo de la plantilla se va dando forma a su proyecto

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for the tutorial. A great way to start a project with stencils.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such a fun piece you have created using Sue's dress stencil. Love those turquoise cowboy boots.

    ReplyDelete