Tuesday, December 1, 2015

How to re-energize your muse in 60 seconds!

As blessed as I feel to be able to commute downstairs in my pajamas with a cup of joe in hand and go to work, some days, I walk into my studio and I feel stuck.  I am overwhelmed with "things to do" and my muse has gone in to hibernation.

Yesterday was such a day.  I have been scrambling with a busier than usual personal life as my husband mends from heart surgery, while juggling show season, ornament making and some commission work. I think my muse went to take a nap somewhere because I stared at several empty canvases knowing I NEEDED to finish some work but completely paralyzed to do so!

YIKES!

Well I decided to give myself a break.  Yup.  (And a time limit.)

I gave myself exactly 60 seconds to put "something on canvas" ~ no time to think or perfect, just paint loose and free.  No agonizing over color mixing or perfect drawings or "what am I feeling?"...nope!  Just 60 seconds and some paint on a palette. 

I didn't have time for it. And I let myself be okay with the fact that what I would put down would probably be garbage.  I decided to step in to a judgement-free minute and go for it!

And you know what?  I actually had fun!  

And I kind of like what I painted.  It looks nothing like my regular style, but it pushed me and it woke my muse.  The rest of the day I attacked my work load with a new vigor and at the end of the day I was happily covered in paint with some work ready for my show this weekend.

Here is a photo documentation of my little experiment.  

The first one is after 60 seconds.  After that I continued to give myself timelines that were short.






I think I might call this piece "Awakening".

I challenge you to give yourself a break, some permission to be free and play! You might just wake your muse!

I added this post to a link party over at A Colorful Journey.  Check this out to find other inspirational posts by artists!


Let's Play!
_

16 comments:

  1. I love this piece Kirsten, It's beautiful! I know what you mean about getting stuck sometimes, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting a time limit on just getting going definitely helps. I think you ended up with a fun piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure will, great painting in the fast mode Kirsten. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. 60 seconds to wonderful! I love this one and it adds even more awesomeness to it that you invited your muse for the whole day from it! Thanks for sharing with Let's Play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always ready to Play! Look forward to seeing others' links!

      Delete
  5. GREAT!! Wow. SUPER! Now... if it would just sell as a work you did in 15 minutes or so.... wouldn't THAT be one for the record books!!!!????? Hehehhehehehe!!!! Ok - so.... I am turning around right now to my blank canvas and trying your experiment :) j.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's amazing! I often suffer from creative block too and loosening up on my expectations definitely helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice. I'm going to have to try something like this as I get so overwhelmed so easily wanting to do everything but feeling like I have time to accomplish nothing. Although my deadlines are self-imposed and not so real as yours, the anxiety experienced is the same. Thank you for the great idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am amazed at what you got done in just 60 seconds! The flowers look very playful, especially after adding the last touches of white. I hope you hang it somewhere where you can see it daily and remember this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what you made in just 1 minutes, unbelievable.
    And what a luxury indeed to only have to commute downstairs, I just received the message last week that my department will be relocated which means my commute will double at least and the distance is tripled :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am pretty darn fortunate to have such a commute!

      Delete