Friday, June 20, 2014

Fly Away with Me, StencilGirl & Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge #10!

Come join me as I use my stash & a challenge to create a new piece of art!



You don't have to ask me twice to get messy when it comes to art, so when I read Challenge #10 from Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog ~ I was scrambling to pull out supplies and make a lovely artsy mess! 

Challenge #10 Spray It! Ink It! Paint It! Smear It! Emboss It!
Show us your inner mixed media diva! Use spray mists, inks, paints, modeling paste, embossing powder, pastels, chalk, and whatever messy media you can find! Let's dig into that hoard, pull out some of that "messy stuff," and use it up! There is a mess-maker hiding in all of you! Let her/him out to play!

I started with a canvas I have in my pile of canvases with backgrounds but nothing else on them.  I call it my Lonely Tribe of Backgrounds - there are quite a few!  This one in particular I had created this amazing background with Golden Fluid Acrylic paints and glazing medium.  I allowed it dry for 24 hours and got this scrumptious background.


Here is a close up.


I began by layering different stencils with some paint to try and "unstick" my mind.  I had no plan at this point.  I love using lots of different stencils for texture and helping me free my creativity.  Read at the end of my post for the StencilGirl stencils I used.  I know, I know "Holy Stencil Hoarding!" :)


I started with the Queen Anne Lace stencil, only using the top part.  This made my background remind me of the sea and the "lace" looked like coral to me.


I used some of the stencils with Heidi Swapp Color Shine sprays in various colors. I love these iridescent sprays because they are waterproof and oh so shimmery!


Look at that shimmer! Yum...



I started seeing an underwater picture and sketched out some fish.  But then I got majorly stuck.  I didn't want to cover anything but it was too chaotic to leave it like it was...so I went a completely different route.


 I scrapped the underwater scene because there was so much of the background I loved that I would lose by having to 'paint out' with water.  I decided to sketch out a butterfly with my stabilo pencil in black.  These pencils are great because they erase with a little spritz of water and wipe with a paper towel.


I used wood icing for texture with Carolyn Dube's Uplifting Words stencil and Nathalie Kalbach's What's the Point? stencil.



I began painting around the butterfly with titanium white to bring it out and separate it from the background.  I allowed lots of drippage because I think drips are gorgeous!


I continued with layers of color using splashes of Dr. Ph. Martin's Bombay India inks   and Daler Rowney India inks~ my favorite is the light green (it should be called lime green)! I also used lemon yellow, flame orange, teal and flame red.


 To add detailing to the butterfly, I began doodling on top of it with my white Fine Point Sharpie.  I continued to add other India inks for more color and depth around the wood icing.



Here are some close-ups of the butterfly.


 

And here is a photo of the final 24x24 canvas.


My butterfly is escaping a chaotic world and pursuing everything she believes in!

Hope you enjoying "flying" along with me today!

For more art tutorials, click my page above or you can make sure you don't miss a post and follow me on Bloglovin and Kirsten Reed Designs on Facebook.


Leave me a comment to be entered in the  GIVEAWAY!
StencilGirl Products will be picking FIVE winners this week--one from each day!
Visit each blog and leave a comment. 
The more blogs you comment on, the more chances you have to WIN
One comment per blog please.
You will have until Sunday, June 22nd at 11:59PM Central Time to leave your comments. The winners will be announced on the StencilGirl Facebook on Tuesday, June 24th.

Stencils Used:

Just click on each one and it will take you directly to the page to purchase.

  
  

Supplies Other than Stencils Used In This Piece:
Golden Acrylic MediumsGolden Fluid Acrylics Sets, Set of 8   Daler-Rowney FW Acrylic Water-Resistant Artists Ink, Rowney Blue               







77 comments:

  1. Very pretty. I love all the colors together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the tiny details with all the layers going on. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Wow! Wow! This is my new favorite painting of yours, Kirsten!
    What a fun process and I learned about new art supplies, too! :)
    Just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww you are making me blush Mary ~ thank you!

      Delete
  4. The depth to the layers is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your canvas is absolutely amazing! thanks for the DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your butterfly. Your colors are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in love with your butterfly! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED the background to begin with and you rocked it for the final piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the beginning background but never figured out what to do with it. I am glad you liked the final piece :)

      Delete
  9. Oh my, that is just amazing. I love the amount of color you used. Absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMGosh! All of the colors and textures and layering! I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh My MY!! What a masterpiece canvas you created at the final day!!! The colours, textures dimension you created.... just blow my mind..... LOVE LOVE LOVE the BIG BUTTERFLY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much for the compliments and thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  12. WOW! I LOVE the Golden Fluid Acrylic Paints! (Will have to put them on my Wish List!) LOL What a GORGEOUS CREATION!!!!!!!!!! :D Just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will NOT be disappointed ~ love these paints! thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. interesting. Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun to be so free with the paint - looks like a mess - and then a few strokes brings a beautiful butterfly to life. I have to get back into painting. it's so messy but such a great creative outlet.
    thanks for sharing the detailed pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great way to use a gorgeous background that you don't want to hide too much. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful layering of the stencils and color.
    Thanks for hopping with us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing work, love the layers of stencils!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your butterfly! This is wonderful & I will use your ideas for some of my paints that I am NOT so happy with or haven't done anything with. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the result! Sorry I got into this so late.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love this! I had never thought to try making a background like that, and now I'm absolutely going to do it. And your final product is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Totally ART! This is wonderful. I love the addition of the text! Thanks for being part of the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW, I have NONE of the supplies you used. Can I shop at your house? Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW, I have NONE of the supplies you used. Can I shop at your house? Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the process of pulling out a section of the background and making it the focal point. I must try this. Very beautiful Kirsten.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Kirsten, such beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG Kirsten - you've done it again! Outstanding work! I love everything about it!! The colors, the stencils, the textures, the composition, the words, the feeling of flight - what a great job! I don't think I've seen ANYTHING you've done that I didn't LOVE! Thanks so much for being a part of the design team and the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how you pulled the butterfly out. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Who would have thought to use all those stencils....WOW! What an amazing background. Love how this turned out. It is truly an inspiration. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW this is totally amazing I can only dream of making something so beautiful! Love the colors and the butterfly turned out sooo pretty! Thanks for sharing you awesome talent!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The colours and stencils are amazing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

  31. love the colours so many layers love what you've done

    ReplyDelete
  32. wonderful technique and I love the butterfly! So glad you didn't cover up all that beautiful background.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I absolutely LOVE this canvas--LOVE! You know what?? I loved the original background you did too!!! I "BELIEVE" this is a winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing your process with us, too!
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for choosing my stencil Queen Anne's Lace as part of this complex and fascinating artwork ... flowers and butterflies go together, as you have so beautifully shown us here!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the color combinations and the stencils are to die for

    ReplyDelete
  37. I absolutely love your background! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh Kristin,! You have so inspired me to become a StencilGirl Hoarder !! Perfect timing ;-) love your Art !

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh... I adore your fabolous canvas. How clever you achieved collecting all the colors allthough it could have turned into being messy. That butterfly stands out !!! AMAZING !!! Thank you for sharing your creativity !!
    Hugs from SPAIN

    ReplyDelete
  40. I really like the layers of color. Gjeneve@ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. I really like the layers of color. Gjeneve@ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow!!! What an amazing journey/process. I love how you have a canvas stash to pull from and then just go from there. Beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your piece is an amazing work of art! Thanks for all the pictures of the process! Love the colors and all the layers! Thanks for hopping with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Look at you using all of those treasures!!! I adore this piece Kirsten! That first background was just as yummy as the finished piece!! exquisite really! ")

    ReplyDelete
  45. Beautiful! Love all the layers of color and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great piece! I especially loved how you used the various stencils inside the butterfly for texture. I love my Stencil Girl stencils :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. very NICE!!! your colors and images and BELIEVE! Wondeful, love it! :))))) thanks for the instructions and supply info, too! Anniep

    ReplyDelete
  48. gorgeous! I love the background canvas just by itself but with all the extras it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love the idea of using boards just sitting around waiting for their turn to shine, I'm looking at 7 of my own.... Butterflies are great to use for this, lots of great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thud! That's the sound of me falling off my chair! This is truly a work of art and most assuredly no longer a member of the lonely background tribe. This background has taken wing and been transformed! Awe struck!

    ReplyDelete
  51. This is beautiful! I love how the butterfly appeared and you were still able to showcase this beautiful background you created! Awesome work! Thanks for sharing.

    Katie B.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I really like this technique. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wow! What an array of stencils! And your piece is stunning! Couldn't believe it! This blog hop has introduced me to so many talented artists like yourself and how to use these products so easily. Don't think my projects will look anything near this but will be playing some after I get some of these great stencils! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Love the use of jewel toned greens! Not as popular as other colors, but stunning! Reminds me of growing things! I love that Queen Ann's Lace Stencil! Going to order that one next. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  55. What always amazes me is that you can take a beautiful background that's great as is, and be brave enough to attack and make it better! Thank you for showing the way.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wow! You are amazing, Kirsten! I love what you did here, so many layers and such interest…thank you for sharing your techniques and supplies!! I thought I had enough stencils, but no - I need just a couple more...

    ReplyDelete
  57. Oooh I see a few more stencils I'd like to add to my collection! Great project, Kirsten :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Wow, this is a masterpiece! I love all the colors and the stencils you used. Thanks for being part of the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Nice blog..Thanks for sharing it..
    web design orange media

    ReplyDelete
  60. I love your butterfly and the backround too. Thanks for showing the step by step process.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I LOVED the backgrounds you make and the idea of having backgrounds ready ahead of time. But I really, really like the way you show & tell the steps in the process and your thinking process...Great blog and projects.thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Love the stencils you used as well as colors you layered.

    ReplyDelete